Hello, reader! If you don’t already know, my name is Mary Madeline. I am an curly-haired twenty-one-year-old girl seeking an authentic Jesus in this technological and modern age. My name is often marked by thoughts of braids with scrunchies, standing on chairs, random dancing and singing, as well as rants about racial reconciliation and Taylor Swift. Some of my favorite things to do are travel, play guitar, discuss statistics and poetry, and oh-ah over food. I’m definitely Taylor Swift’s, Jenny and Tyler’s, the Oh Hello’s, and Katie Davis-Majors’ biggest fan. I probably have a compulsive singing disorder and you might stand a high risk of talking domestic politics if you’re in my crowd (because they matter but I’m not totally politically literate).
Just a few other random facts about my life:
- The Mississippi Delta, the birthplace of the blues and Koolaid pickles, is also my birthplace and where I call home.
- I am a student at Mississippi State University, where I study nutrition in hopes of graduating and doing something. Just something.
- I came to know Christ at age fourteen, when I began to understand what it meant when He died for the sins of mankind and my own personal sin.
- I love, love, love RUF (Reformed University Fellowship), and it’s where I’ve formed the closest and most rewarding relationships in college.
- I am a graduate of the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science, which is a public boarding school, where, ironically, I began a love affair with the humanities.
- I LOVE TRAVELING! So far, I’ve been to seven countries. Two of those (the Philippines and Japan) were on a mission trip. The other five (Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, England, and Ireland) were on a backpacking extravaganza with my best friend. Email me for tips and tricks on traveling cheaply as a student– or email me with advice from a fellow travel junkie! 😉
- I grew up in the Presbyterian Church of America, which is a reformed denomination. I’m always in a constant state of questioning and struggling with reformed theology. I’m just beginning to figure out what I personally believe about reformed doctrine, and I’m not really sold on all of it. However, this is my general background, and I am officially part of the PCA denomination.
If you want to know about my sweet family:
My mom – (Renee) often found dancing to eights music, making soap, and calling my name to rub her feet.
My dad – (Mack) often found fixing things, snuggling our cat while watching cat videos, and buying Christmas lights during July.
Gib – my coordinated, sixteen-year-old brother who is always attempting to make me play Call of Duty, jump off the roof, burn something, or hurt myself in some other thrilling way.
Duke – my yellow lab who enjoys licking my toes and any other visible skin on my body but I will readily defend his case when meanies call him fat
Nate – My old-man skinny cat with a tiny little pudge. He loves pawing my face, sticking his tongue out at any and every one, and staring at me for endless hours to earn my love.
I also have sweet friends that it would take a lifetime to list them and describe to you how absolutely much I adore them. So I will refrain for now until they become less fantastic so the list will be shorter of all the reasons they should be adored.
If you have any questions about life, theology, how to set up a blog, how to travel cheaply as a student, what boarding school is like, Taylor Swift’s new album, or you want cute pictures of my pets, or you feel like you can offer advice, or anything else, feel free to email me at email@example.com with a title starting as “I am an OH reader!” (that way I don’t trash your sweet letter into my spam folder.) Emails from my readers are my absolute favorite, and I will try to make haste with my responses.